SHINING MOUNTAIN WALDORF SCHOOL PARENT ASSOCIATION
Our intention is to build a sustainable structure created by many hearts, hands and voices, with clarity of purpose, roles and processes that can be amended over time as we live and learn.
The underlying intention is simply to build stronger relationships, better understand each other’s needs and share information. The Parent Association (SMWS-PA) will provide a place for parents to support each other, support the work of the faculty and curriculum, make better use of energy and talents to get things done, and provide clearer channels of communication between parents, faculty, Board of Trustees, and administration.
SMWS PARENT ASSOCIATION CHARTER MISSION
We strive to be an organization that supports, educates and connects the parent body to the rest of the school. We work in partnership with the faculty and the Board of Trustees to create a vibrant community. Working together with the faculty and the board allows all three spheres of the school community to be stable and represent the needs of the community as a whole.
- Work with the faculty to support parents in their need to know about Waldorf education and the workings of the school.
- Support the school sense of community by holding social events for parents and families.
- Share in joint problem solving around issues that affect the parent body.
- Facilitate communication with parents by soliciting their input/feedback.
- Support parents’ involvement by promoting school volunteer opportunities.
- Contribute to a positive and supportive learning environment for students and adults alike
- Inspire and support parent and community participation and initiative in an effort to foster a strong sense of school community.
- Create a stronger link and build a deeper sense of community between the Lower School and the High School
- Facilitate clear and consistent communication between parents and the governing bodies of the school, while reinforcing the existing processes established at SMWS for addressing parent concerns, and the stated mission of SMWS
PARENT ASSOCIATION STRUCTURE
The SMWS Parent Association is open to all parents at the school. Upon joining the school, parents are:
- Automatically members of the Parent Association
- Welcome to attend all Parent Association meetings
- Invited to access various volunteer opportunities
- Eligible to serve as a Parent Association representative
PARENT ASSOCIATION LEADERSHIP TEAM 2012-13
Chair- Anne Nadelson
Scribe – Beth Leuchten
Chair of Parent Enrichment Committee – Lorraine Fairmont
Chair of Welcome Committee – Laurel Mulholland
Chair of Hospitality Committee – Alicia Gromicko
High School Parent Organization representative – Shanley Weber