The Outdoor Education program is an integral piece of the Middle School curriculum, providing opportunities for powerful learning experiences outside of the classroom.
- Guide students towards an increased awareness of the environment and a deeper understanding of ecological principles.
- Provide experiences in the natural environment that help awaken a sense for beauty, truth and moral responsibility for all life.
- Teach students skills that will help them travel consciously, confidently and safely in the natural environment.
- Provide outdoor experiences with the highest standards of safety and risk management.
- Develop a comprehensive and integrated middle school outdoor curriculum, emphasizing sensory awareness exercises and outdoor skills.
- Create class trip options for each grade that integrate age-appropriate outdoor education with curriculum studies.
- Teach minimum impact techniques for wilderness camping and backcountry travel.
- Provide or identify elective or extra-curricular options for students who are interested in pursuing further outdoor skill development.