During the course of the Live Auction the community will be asked to contribute to a Special Appeal. The Special Appeal is selected each year by the Shining Mountain faculty and is typically an item that impacts the experience of the students in a direct way. Past Special Appeals have been items such as SolaTubes to bring natural light into the classrooms, school buses for field trips and athletics, new desks for all of the classrooms, and most recently, a makeover for the High School Science Lab.
This year’s Special Appeal is focused on supporting our Performing Arts Program, which includes our Music Program, Costume Department, Eurythmy and Theater Arts from Grades 1-12. We are looking to upgrade and enhance these programs through the purchase of the following items:
- Upgraded Lighting System in the Festival Hall to support our assemblies, plays, concerts, and Circus programs.
- Upgraded Sound Boards and Sound Systems to be used across campus in our Festival Hall, High School Assembly Hall and outside for improved acoustics for our assemblies, plays, concerts, presentations and festivals.
- 30 Eurythmy costumes for Grades 1-3 made of heavy cotton fabric.
- 30 Eurythmy costumes for Grades 4-8 made of silk charmeuse.
- 10 custom made Medieval Costumes for the Middle and High Schools.
- Fabric for new costumes across all the grades.
- Fabric Barriers with frames for acoustical and aesthetic enhancements in the Festival Hall for plays, assemblies and concerts.
- Curtains to cover the Festival Hall scoreboard.
Many of these items can be made from fabric and materials that SMWS can purchase. We have several artists in our community who can make many of these costumes, barriers and curtains (including our students!) to help reduce our costs. This Special Appeal will enhance our programs across the entire campus and each grade, adding to the experiences of our children in these realms. Thank you in advance for your support of this year’s Special Appeal!