SHINING MOUNTAIN WALDORF SCHOOL PARENT ASSOCIATION
Our goal is to build a sustainable structure created by many hearts, hands and voices, with clarity of purpose, roles and processes that can be amended over time as we live and learn.
The underlying intention is simply to build stronger relationships, better understand each other’s needs and share information. The Parent Association (SMWS-PA) will provide a place for parents to support each other, support the work of the faculty and curriculum, make better use of energy and talents to get things done, and provide clearer channels of communication between parents, faculty, Board of Trustees, and administration.
SMWS PARENT ASSOCIATION CHARTER MISSION
We strive to be an organization that supports, educates and connects the parent body to the rest of the school. We work in partnership with the faculty and the Board of Trustees to create a vibrant community. Working together with the faculty and the board allows all three spheres of the school community to be stable and represent the needs of the community as a whole.
- Work with the faculty to support parents in their need to know about Waldorf education and the workings of the school.
- Support the school sense of community by holding social events for parents and families.
- Share in joint problem solving around issues that affect the parent body.
- Facilitate communication with parents by soliciting their input/feedback.
- Support parents’ involvement by promoting school volunteer opportunities.
- Contribute to a positive and supportive learning environment for students and adults alike
- Inspire and support parent and community participation and initiative in an effort to foster a strong sense of school community.
- Create a stronger link and build a deeper sense of community between the Lower School and the High School
- Facilitate clear and consistent communication between parents and the governing bodies of the school, while reinforcing the existing processes established at SMWS for addressing parent concerns, and the stated mission of SMWS
Some of the Class Parents for 2015-16. September 8. Photo by Michael Shaun Conaway.
Back row: Tricia Durham—4th grade; Latane Hill—9th & 12th grade; Deanna Waldron—5th grade; Elissa Langenegger—PA co-chair; Megan Rudolph—2nd grade; Lindsey Solano—White Dove Kindergarten
Front row: Susan Hilliard—3rd grade and PA co-chair; Kimmie Winston—10th grade; Sarah Remmert—7th grade; Chris Barnett—1st grade; Natalie Clements—2nd grade; Alex Melnyk—8th grade.
Missing: Deborah Shutt—Larksong Kindergarten; Laurel Mullholland—Red Rose Kindergarten; Megan Saad—1st grade; Maureen Espinoza—5th grade; Dave Taylor—6th grade; Katerina Getchell—11th grade.
Community Care Committee
The mission of the Community Care Committee is to hold and nurture the generous caretaking impulse of our community through oversight of Faculty snacks, as well as creation of Care Calendars for community members in need.
Parent Enrichment Committee
The Parent Enrichment committee works to bring programs to inform our community about the the profound philosophy behind Waldorf education and anthroposophy in general, as well as support on the parenting journey. Over the course of the year, programs are offered which are geared to parents of all ages of students.
Dr. Thomas Cooper speaks on “Mediating the Media”, October 9, 2012.
The aim of the Welcome Committee is to create a supportive group to assist new families at SMWS in their transition to Boulder, Waldorf Education, and SMWS. We also hold the heart piece of our school community.